After much measuring, plenty of oil and a patient wait at Orejen,
our new windows are HERE!
We have been looking forward to this day for several months.
The windows are all bespoke and were manufactured
by the Orejen factory in Pretoria.
All the measurements were done by Manuel,
who has been doing this for years!
When we bought our house, these windows were part of what caused
us to put in the offer to purchase...
When we looked at fitting the new windows, we did look at aluminium,
but the supplier wanted us to make the windows rectangular.
Needless to say, he did not get the job
These are the new arched windows that will be replacing the steel.
One day at a time...
Aside from the windows, the entrance is also getting a make-over...
All the wood has already been removed and
the entrance is awaiting the new construction
When we had our bathroom extension built,
there were settling cracks.
The builder did return to fix, but not correctly.
Now, hopefully, they will be done properly
Seeing that the majority of the "dusty" work is being done in the bathroom,
we decided that this window would be the first to be "converted"...
I was uncertain as to how this would be accomplished
without major demolition.
I was proved wrong.
Cuts were made through the one side of the window,
which facilitated ease of removal...
On the inside looking out...
Phase 2: Owner John was on site to lend a hand.
Phase 3: All gone and without any damage to the window sill.
I do hope that all the all of the windows come out this easily
Phase 4: The first of the new windows go into place
From the inside looking out...
Phase 5: Glazing...although John's team fitted the windows,
the glass was cut and supplied by Linden Glass.
62, 6th Street, Linden.
Phase 6: In place and ready to be finished off.
And with this installation, day one comes to a close.
I will be publishing postings as the transformation occurs.
This company manufactured all the windows.
This was the company that installed the windows.
They also did the building repairs.